Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:04:28 +0100
From:      Roeland Hemsteede <roeland.hemsteede@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Roeland Hemsteede wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have got a problem with FreeBSD and my laptop, I am trying to
> install FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE on it but i get the following errors
> ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out also it takes alot of
> time to load uhub1. I am trying to dualboot it with Windows XP but I
> dont think thats a problem because I installed it on my home computer
> without any problems ( also dualbooted and the same FreeBSD cd ).
>
> After searching though the mailing list archives I tried the following:
> At the boot prompt of the FreeBSD cd I went into the loader prompt and
> did typed the following "set hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"" after that I typed
> "boot" to continue booting up the installation. Yet it still hangs at
> the same point.
>
> I was hoping someone could help me getting it to boot so I can install
> it on my laptop.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roeland

After i send this mail i received a reply saying the following:

    Try installing it in safe mode.  After you have installed it in safe
    mode,
    edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf.  Comment out everything that handles
    acpi.  Then add add this hint.apic.0.disabled="1"

    Hope that helps you,

    --Don

However, booting into safe mode wont help, it still crashes at the same
point so im still looking for help.

Thanks in advance,
Roeland