Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:25:05 +0000
From:      Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@gmail.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http subversion URLs should be discontinued in favor of https URLs

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 10:26:06PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <2a6d123c-8ee5-8e1e-d99b-4bce02345308@rawbw.com>, Yuri writes:
>
> >The unfortunate FreeBSD user who updated his source tree through
> >Tor [...]
>
> Why would anybody do that in the first place ?

Why doesn't everyone have that option? Why is broadcasting a users information
across the internet forced upon them? Shouldn't they have a choice?

I don't disagree the CA mafia model is a broken mess, but there is some work
being done for this - so maybe the situation will be better in 5-10 years. But
even with those improvements, I'd rather have updates served over a
self-authenticating onion service than over a direct http connection. I see
five options: direct-http-connection, direct-https-connection, http-over-tor,
https-over-tor, and http-over-onion. There is only one of these that does not
require trusting the intermediate hops of the connection (or external third
parties) and it guarantees the bits that went in at one end of the connection
are the bits that come out the other end while not leaking sensitive
information (metadata) along the path.

As a concrete example, I encourage everyone read why Debian chose exactly this
solution[0][1].

It would be nice if all updates are available over onion, not only subversion,
but subversion is a good starting point. Onion services accomplish the same
basic goal as TLS (authentication, integrity, confidentiality) and they protect
against targetting and profiling users. As a user, I care about all these
problems.

Also, to Yuri's original point, you can ship a self-signed FreeBSD CA cert.
Subversion supports using it, so beside getting the private keys on the
mirrors there is little against doing it[2].

[0] https://blog.torproject.org/tor-heart-apt-transport-tor-and-debian-onions
[1] https://bits.debian.org/2016/08/debian-and-tor-services-available-as-onion-services.html
[2] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.ssl