Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:25:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Info wanted: Exabyte EXB-8500

On Sat, 28 March 1998 at  7:24:06 -0800, Donald Burr wrote:

> I'm considering the purchase of an Exabyte EXB-8500 tape drive to go with
> my FreeBSD system, since I need a decent backup device (Zip disks just
> ain't cutting it anymore, especially since I got this new 4.3 GB drive...)
>
> I thought I'd consult the FreeBSD community, before making my purchase.  I
> have the following questions:
>
> 1.  Does this drive work OK with FreeBSD?  Any weird behavior or other
> gotcha's that I should be aware of?

I had one for quite a while.  No problems relating to FreeBSD (but the
drive died on me).

> 2.  Will it work with an Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI UltraSCSI (narrow) adapter?

Yes.

> 3.  Is anyone using this combo?  How's it work?

I'm using an 8505 with a 2940UW.  I did have it on the 2940 before.
It works fine on both.

> 4.  (I figure I might as well ask this while I've got your attention)
> My source for this drive is someone posting in misc.forsale.*.  Now, I
> usually have pretty good luck buying from the net (in fact, I have had no
> ripoffs to date), but this is primarily due to me carefully reading the ad,
> judging the person's character, etc.  One of the "warning flags" that I
> look for is a "too good to be true" price, which usually means that the
> guy is trying to scam me by taking my money and not sending the drive.
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure what these units are worth these days, so I
> don't have a price to base this comparison on.  The price I'm being offered
> is $150 for an unit that is (obviously) used but in working order.  It is
> an external unit (i.e. in its own case).  Is this about what I should
> expect?  Would I be paying too much?  Or would I be paying way too little
> for this drive? (danger will robinson!)?

I bought my 8500 via Usenet.  I wasn't happy.  I paid *much* more than
you (over $1000), but that was a while ago.  Still, $150 sounds *very*
low.  Be cautious.

Greg