Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:49:56 +0000
From:      Hywel Mallett <hywel@hmallett.co.uk>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On gjournal vs unexpected shutdown (-->fsck)

On 8 Dec 2009, at 22:47, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> Hi there,
>=20
> I thought that I'd try a gjournal'd UFS on one of my spare
> drives (so: dedicated to the task, formatted from clean, per the
> instructions in the gjournal man page.)  The filesystem itself
> seems to be working swimmingly, although it isn't heavily used.
> In the time that I've had it running, though, I've had two power
> outages that have resulted in unexpected shutdowns, and I was
> surprised to find that the boot process did nothing unexpected:
> file system not marked clean: fsck before you can mount.  So
> both times I fsck'd the drive, and as near as I can tell this
> took exactly as long as fsck on a regular UFS system of similar
> size.  Isn't the journalling operation supposed to confer a
> shortcut benefit here?  I know that the man page doesn't mention
> recovery by journal play-back, but I thought that it didn't need
> to: that's the whole point.  Is there a step that I'm missing?
> Perhaps a gjournal-aware version of fsck that I should run
> instead of regular fsck, that will quickly mark the file system
> clean?
>=20
> (Running -current as of last weekend, if that matters.)
>=20
I assume you've run tunefs -J enable on the filesystems on the =
journalled provider? Or used newfs with -J if it's a new filesystem?
If I remember correctly it's this flag that fsck checks to see whether =
fsck is needed or not.
You can check whether the flag is set or not by running dumpfs on the =
filesystem. Under "flags" it'll say gjournal if the flag is set.=