Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 11:47:19 -0500 EST
From:      "Tony Magner" <magner@BlueRidge-EF.SAIC.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba setup help required

On 22 Jan 96, Christoph Kukulies scribbled:

>> #ifdef DUMBASS_ATTACK
>>
>> John Brann wrote...

[snip]

>> How do I convince nmbd that it IS the master browser?
>
>I may be wrong since I didn't look into the
>samba list for a while but I doubt samba supports acting as a
>master browser. This is left to NT servers or NT workstations.
>Don't know about Win95, if they can be master browser.
>

>From what I've read at http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html
and elsewhere, Samba *can* be forced to master browser by setting the
"os level" global option in smb.conf to a higher number.  Default is
0.  Setting it to 2 would beat WFWG and Win95 but not NT, which uses
level 32.  Good luck.

   -- Tony Magner
   -- anthony.s.magner@cpmx.saic.com