Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 08:29:02 -0000
From:      "BSD Blood" <bsdblood@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports not installing after updating sources

I've just updated from FreeBSD 4.1 RELEASE to 4.3 STABLE. Here's how my 1st
cvsupfile look like:-
*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress

src-all tag=RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE list=cvs:RELENG_4
ports-all tag=.
doc-all tag=.

After 'updating' my sources with the 1st cvsupfile, I immediately updated
again using the 2nd cvsupfile:-
*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress

src-all tag=RELENG_4
ports-all tag=.
doc-all tag=.

I recompile and install my new kernel. The kernel loaded successfully. When
I want to install some packages using the ports collection, this is the
error I get:-
Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this
bsd.port.mk.  If you have updated your ports collection via cvsup and are
still getting this error, see Q12 and Q13 in the cvsup FAQ on
http://www.polstra.com for further information.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/irc/xchat.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/irc/xchat.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/irc/xchat.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/irc/xchat.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/irc/xchat.

At first, I used only the 2nd cvsupfile to update my sources and I got the
error when I want to install a package using the ports collection. Realizing
my mistake, I did a FRESH INSTALLATION and I followed the FAQ's Q12 and Q13
method (using 2 cvsupfiles); I got the same error. What did I do wrong?