Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2020 11:56:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: importing kyua into the base system

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:14:02AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > I'll be importing kyua and it's dependency lutok into the base system
> > > this week.  Integrating it into the FreeBSD build system will make it
> > > available by default which is especially valuable on emerging
> > > architectures were we aren't building packages yet (e.g. riscv).
> >
> > Why isnt there a preceding discussion of this on -arch?
>
> The lack of kyua in base (meaning the inability to run the test suite
> without package infrastructure) has been discussed as a pain point for
> ages.

I recall no such discsussion in the past 3 years, where was this
dicussion at?

> The only real objection to it before (IIRC) was that it would
> mean importing lua, but we've got lua in base now (as flua) so it's time
> to import it.

And the import of lua *was* discussed.

> I suppose I could have added a multi-day delay discussion delay which
> would increase my odds of making errors in the port from CheriBSD, but
> I'm pretty skeptical we'd come to any conclusion other than the
> encouragement I got when I mentioned this on Slack as I started working on
> it.

How is a dicussion going to increase your error rate?  That is a very
strange state of affairs.

Slack is not the official channel for project discussion, and should
never be a place decisions are made as it excludes a large majority
of people who just do not have time to sit in slack and watch chats.

I am not objecting to importing it, I am objecting to short circuiting
normal process.