Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:16:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound frustration.

Josh Tolbert writes:
 > > However, there are some cards which the SRM fails to setup properly.
 > > For example, some ATA cards get IO ports which are higher than
 > > they expect and barf.  Perhaps this is what's happening to the
 > > happless user who started this thread.
 >
 > 	I think this may be the case with the PCI sound cards. Every
 > single one of them I tried wasn't identified by the manufacturer in SRM,
 > like every other card in the machine was. The PCI sound cards are just
 > identified by two sets of numbers, which I guess correspond to vendor ID
 > and part number.

Yes, that's what the numbers mean.

All that it means when the SRM doesn't ID the card by manufacturer is
that it didn't know about card when the SRM was burned, not that it
set it up "wrong" (I put "wrong" in quotes because as I remember it,
the problem with the ATA cards is a bug in the ATA cards, not in SRM).

For example, my company's card (myrinet nics) show up by PCI device
and vendor id, but are setup properly.

Drew