Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:35:57 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is ZFS production ready?

On 2012-06-21 08:12, Евгений Лактанов wrote:
> 21.06.2012 15:52, Wojciech Puchar пишет:
>> stick with UFS. It JUST WORKS(R), and is trusty.
>> And it works fast.
>>
> I see the trend here. That guy is determined to shove his opinion
> down
> the throat of everybody. Stop it, tis most annoying.
>
> Back to the topic. ZFS support has matured greatly since the last
> time
> you tried it, currently freebsd supports zfs pool v. 28 in the last
> updates. Try it, it won't disappoint you.

Agreed.  Wojciech Puchar is in my 'probable troll' file at this point,
from his interactions on several topics.

ZFS is stable and tested, and works well if you have the resources.
That means RAM as well as hard disks - and if you don't have the
resources, most of ZFS's advantages wouldn't be coming into play anyway.
I have seen no reason to believe at this point (under FreeBSD 9) that
it is any less stable than any other filesystem.  It is still fairly new
relatively, but I and others have used it with no problems, on boxes of
various sizes.  Getting the best performance may take some tweaking on
occasion, but in general it should be very good.  (And getting the best
performance out of a multi-terabyte drive array will take tweaking no
matter what file system you are trying.)

My one note to the above would be to advise against using it for swap -
unless you have enough RAM to make sure you never swap.  It doesn't do
well in that role, in my experience.  (Though that was under a slightly
earlier version.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.