Date:      09 Nov 2002 00:03:27 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Juan Francisco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will official-NVIDIA-driver for 4.7 work with -CURRENT ?

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 23:52, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> The README file found at the above URL claims that:
>
> <quote>
> FreeBSD -STABLE versions older than 4.7 and FreeBSD -CURRENT are
> not supported.
> <end quote>
>
> So I guess the answer is no.
> It is of course possible that it might work anyway even if NVIDIA don't
> support it but since a kernel module is involved and those are generally
> not portable between major releases it is not very likely it will work.

Actually it says it isn't _supported_ not it doesn't work :)

The KLD consists of two parts - one is binary only, and the other has
source so you can recompile it under different releases and have it
work.

Given that the version Matthew Dodd hacked together that used the
_linux_ version of this worked in both -current and -stable I would
suggest it's probably likely that it will work :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5