Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:25:39 +0200 (MET_DST)
From:      y0002257@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Sven Brandenburg)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: turning off scsi disks

Above all thanks for your answers,

Wilko Bulte writes:

> You better be a bit careful with this. The very nice MTBF figures we
> see these days are definitely not spec'ed by a system turning the
> drive on/off every couple of minutes. At least not if the drive
> was not designed for this.

Well, apart from the fact that repeated spindown of your disks doesnīt
really *increase* the MTBF I would like to have the possibility of doing
so!
My problem is not having the harddisks run while working - They do not
have to spin down every minute - I want to turn them off when there`s
no load what so ever. Therefore the time before a disk receives its
STOP unit should be well over five (maybe ten) minutes without disk
activity - so these occasions are presumably very rare when working.
(Which then shouldnīt decrease MTBF that much.)
I would be entirely happy to let the disks do this on their own -
without the need to hack the sources.
There are older disks who implemented such a feature but unfortunately
I donīt know whether my disks have such nice thing nor how to activate
it - all I know is that it works for an old 40Meg Quantum disk -
There was a short front end running on the Amiga which allowed to
set the spin off time and to make a decision whether to put this
information permanently onto the disk or just until reboot.
When saved permanently the harddisk would turn off after that given
time - even after switching the scsi host and system.
I want to have exactly this!

J. Wunsch wrote:

> Making it spin down while being idle would require additional timers
> in the driver, but should not be undoable.  However, the hook to turn
> it on must be moved into the sdstart routine then (perhaps activated
> by some additonal flag in the sd_data structure that is being set by
> the timeout handler when spinning it down).

When do we start working on it ;-)

As you may have noticed I am new to FreeBSD (not to computers, though)
and canīt imagine how much work this could be (shame on me - Iīve never
taken a look on the related sources.. I will do right now..)
BUT:
Am am willing to learn! :-)

Thank you very much for your time.

----
I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray:
My legs are longer though, to run away.

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night`s Dream, 1596