Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:44:50 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD3.0-BETA crash!

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 08:19:34PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I've followed the instructions in the handbook but with some problems.
> > The savecore worked and I've got a kernel.0 and vmcore.0.
> > The handbook refers to 'strip -d', and the -d flag doesn't exist.
>
> The -d flag definitely exists.  What happened when you tried it?  It
> only works on debug kernels, and you haven't said that you built one.
> Did you?

Not in the elf version it seems.
# strip -d
/usr/libexec/elf/strip: invalid option -- d

If by building a debug kernel you mean 'config -g', then yes I did.

> kernel.gdb is not the saved kernel (which will normally have no
> symbols), but the symbolized version, which will come from
> /sys/compile/KERNELLNAME/kernel.  I don't think I've tried this since
> the change to ELF, so maybe there's a problem there.  I'll try it Real
> Soon Now.

It does appear to be an ELF problem. :(

> We need more documentation on this area.  If this doesn't make sense
> to you, let me know what you don't understand, and I'll expand.

Let's get the ELF problems fixed first, and then we can revise the
docs in light of that.  I'm happy to review those, but until these
compatibility problems are fix there's little point doing it
immediately.

Thanks,
Joe
--