Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 12:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        shalunov@att.com (stanislav shalunov)
Cc:        kstewart@3-cities.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't mount CD-ROM

prostanislav shalunov wrote,
> > From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
>
> > Did you turn the other IDE controller on in the bios. If you moved it
> > to the second controller, it wouldn't be active unless you made it so.
> > You have to change the setting for IDE to both and then auto dectect
> > the drive. It sounds like you made the one change but never changed
> > the setting from one IDE controller to two.
>
> BIOS currently detects the CD-ROM drive ("CD-ROM device" as master on
> primary IDE controller).  Kernel currently detects the primary
> controller, and after a delay of several seconds skips to the message
> that secondary IDE controller is not found rather than printing a
> message about detected CD-ROM.

OK, this thread has been all over the place. Let me get all of this
straight:

- You CAN boot from the CDROM

- You have now installed FreeBSD (3.1, I assume) via another medium
  (ftp).

- You have the CDROM as master on the primary IDE controller

- You don't get any messages about IDE CDROMs or a secondary
  controller in dmesg output

OK, so you have the CDROM as primary master, and don't see a secondary
controller. So just where are your HDDs? Do you have SCSI HDDs and an
IDE CDROM? Are you using the GENERIC kernel? What is the dmesg output
from the IDE probes?