Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 21:36:14 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk

On Sat, 17 May 1997, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> On Sat, 17 May 1997, Narvi wrote:
>
> > No! No! NO!
> >
> > Yes, it would be great. But I didn't mean something as complex.
> >
> > What I meant is just keeping a copy of the bsd.port.mk file in the "root"
> > directory of the ports (which for some people is /usr/ports).
> >
> > It would make it real easy for people to copy it over to the right place
> > (/usr/share/mk) or make /usr/share/mk/bsd.ports.mk a link to the one in
> > the directory they sup/cvsup ports to.
>
> That makes sense.  Basically, so that when someone says "It doesn't work!"
> we can say "Copy /usr/ports/bsd.port.mk over to /usr/share/mk" instead of
> "Well, you have to learn how to CVsup so that you can get a newer copy of
> bsd.port.mk".

Exactly.

> Works for me.

Well, actually, if we added (hmm, I haven't tested it, just theoretizing)
a rule to the bsd.port.mk

.if defined(CHECK_BSD_PORT_MK)
/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk:	${PORTSDIR}/bsd.port.mk
	install ... ${PORTSDIR}/bsd.port.mk /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
.endif

Where CHECK_BSD_PORT_MK is a variable defined by default in /etc/make.conf

If something like make world has already updated it, we don't care. If
not, just replace it.

There are also other issues connected to this:
	1) building ports as a user with no write access to /usr/share/mk
	   the person has to manually undef it in the Makefile.
	2) the right place of bsd.port.mk is in the source tree
	3) it won't work before people have updated their /etc/make.conf

Sander