Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:17:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        lioux@brturbo.com
Subject:   special ports -- separate category (Re: cvs commit: ports/www...)

>> we have it  all under one port  with a dialog based  configure to ask
>> which language should be used? Defaulting to $LANG, for example...

>  Humm,  I agree  in  principle with  you but  since  one of  FreeBSD's
> selling points is our packaging system (which does not handle multiple
> packages  being build  from  a single  port), we  have  to stick  with
> multiple incarnations of these ports.

I'd like to correct this by saying,  that our _ports_ system is the main
selling points, IMO. Not the _packaging_ system -- which everybody has.

>  This  is really  suboptimal  and  prettu scary  as  you pointed  out.
> However, this  will have  to do  for now.  As soon  as we  get another
> option, we can go and remove all these crazy multiports we have laying
> around the Ports' Tree.

Let  me  try to  propose  something  more  constructive, before  I'm  in
everybody's kill.file.  The data and  the logic needed for  the possible
options needs to be stored somewhere,  and it may as well be represented
in the  form of a  port. On the other  hand, publishing all  this "crazy
multiports" as part  of the usual ports collection is  rather ugly -- by
everybody's opinion.

So, how about we introduce a separate (sub-)tree:

	/usr/ports/Bento

(or some such)? We don't need to tar it into ports.tar.gz (we should not
do this  to Tools, either,  BTW)? All of  those crazy multiports  can be
shoved (repo-copied) there and be worked on by those who care (including
Bento itself), but not annoy those, who don't?

	-mi

P.S. You responded to me personally,  but please, resend this to -ports,
if you don't object.