Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 17:55:17 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Some speedups noticed

On my memory deprived machine, I've noticed a slight change (for the better!)
in the way interactive processes are being handled during times of heavy mem.
usage by other processes. E.G. a make world is in progress (and has been for
the past 24 hours!) and I start typing at a shell prompt. Once the shell is
swapped back in, it continues to respond quite well. Even small pauses between
commands don't seem to be seen as an excuse to push it out to swap again. My
memory suggests that this was not always the case. Some of the commit messages
I've seen for the vm system suggest that some enhancement has been taking
place, so I'll blame them.

	Stephen

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!