Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 15:53:03 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem / IP Masquradeing

At 12:54 PM 6/3/98 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Charles A. Peters wrote:
>
>> I currently have a cable modem connected to my lan hub, I also have 2
>> ip addresses, but I have 6 win95 computers on my network.  I also
>> have a freebsd 2.2.6 box here that I would like to set up as a
>> router.
>>
>> My goal is to allow all of my computers to access the internet via
>> the bsd router box using one ip address, and setup the second ip
>> address on another bsd box for use as a ftp server.
If this is how you're setting it up, you should connect the cable modem
straight to the FreeBSD machine and put a second network card into it.
You might want to consider having the FreeBSD machine being router and FTP
server on one IP, and leave one IP for a Win95 machine, as most of those
internet-telephones don't work through NATD.

I have one IP, so the FreeBSD machine is on the cable modem, with a second
network card going to a hub to which all my other machines are connected.

>> Also, can I set up some type of firewall.
The Handbook has info on installing firewalling. I can send you some sample
rules.

>Sure, this is easy.  You'll need to set up ipfw/natd on the router to do
>the translation for the Win boxen; that's documented on the natd man page.

Exactly what I've been using since February.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org