Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:51:45 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

--BlmEj2v2v1drQ009eeqLuDRPUTmIcc0Vh
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org

--2L0iSuUOcxgiuJlbPC1rhAwgQ3wq4u52e

On 08/03/2016 13:18, Glen Barber wrote:
> Regarding the .so files, I am not clear on the original intent behind
> separating the actual shared library from the installed symbolic link t=
> the real shared library, but in my investigation into this, only the
> symlinks are provided by the '-development' package.

Once compiled, a program will dynamically load a specific ABI version at
run time -- it needs to refer to a shared library filename including
some version numbers.  However at compile time a program may be able to
link against various different ABI versions of a shlib, so long as the
API is still the same (and established APIs tend to change much more
slowly than ABIs).  So end-users need the shared library name with all
the version numbers, but developers (generally) want the sym-link that
points at the locally preferred version of the shared library.

There's also considerations to do with being able to install a number of
different ABI versions of the same shared library simultaneously.
There's nothing intrinsic to shared library versioning to prevent this,
but having the sym-link in every shared library package would
automatically make the different ABI-version packages conflict with each
other.

	Cheers,

	Matthew