Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:00:56 +0300 (EDT)
From:      "Valentin Nechayev" <nx@nn.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > 4.4BSD derived system cannot do this, and have to use different
> > machine for such applications.
>
> Incorrect. We can set *limits* to the users, so they won't be able
> to crash down the system.

No. Really, not all users are used system in the same time. And it is too
cruel to set too small limits. And, average system has user limits quite
more than (total_resource*2/3)/n_users (2/3 is sub-optimal modifier). But,
if too many users began to use system, they can overflow the resource.
Group limits can make problem softer, but not more than a little.

I don't remember now English word for soft barrier, the Russian word is
'dempfer' ;) System must provide such soft barrier to prevent overflow long
far from the real overflow. Imho, 20% of typical critical resource must be
prevented.

--
Netch