Date:      27 Feb 2003 11:48:27 -0500
From:      cfowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL question for id_function()

Maybe it is possbile to create wrappers for these types in your portable
program

Is pthread_t  a simple handle for the memory location of the
pthread_t strucutre?

=20
On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 11:40, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <20030225155724.GB9400@attbi.com>,
> Craig Rodrigues  <rodrigc@attbi.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > pthread_self() returns something of type pthread_t.
> > This code works under Linux, because pthread_t is mapped to an integer =
value.
> >=20
> > However, on FreeBSD, pthread_t is a pointer to struct pthread, so this
> > code does not compile:
>=20
> FreeBSD violates POSIX in this respect.  The 1003.1 standard
> (section 2.5) requires pthread_t to be an arithmetic type.  We are
> non-compliant in the same way for almost all of the primary
> thread-related types:
>=20
>     pthread_attr_t
>     pthread_mutex_t
>     pthread_mutexattr_t
>     pthread_cond_t
>     pthread_condattr_t
>     pthread_once_t
>=20
> We got it right for pthread_key_t, though. :-)
>=20
> John
> --=20
>   John Polstra
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington =
USA
>   "Disappointment is a good sign of basic intelligence."  -- Ch=F6gyam Tr=
ungpa
>=20
>=20
--=20
"The Law of Leaky Abstractions"
There is a time where abstractions lead to the inablity to=20
fix problems that leak through the abstraction.
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html