Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 10:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kristopher Zentner <kzentner@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adding new swap says: device not configured

Although I'm using freebsd-stable I thought this might be more appropriate
on -questions. Please move as necessary if it is not.

I've followed the instructions exactly on the faq (many times over) about
adding swap and it seems that there is a step that I am missing. Here's
what I have:
Stable version: FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #4

in the kernel: pseudo-device   vn 1
i've also tried: pseudo-device vn

I've done a ./MAKEDEV vn0 in /dev
odin# ls -al vn0
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   15, 0x00010002 May  4 12:04 vn0
(other vn0x devices exist as well including vn0c)

I've done a dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap0 bs=1024k count=64

chmoded /usr/swap0 to 0600
odin# ls -al /usr/swap0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  67108864 May  4 12:05 /usr/swap0

However each time rc.conf or myself tries to enable the swap file I get
the same error message:
odin# vnconfig -ce /dev/vn0c /usr/swap0 swap
vnconfig: open: Device not configured

Has something changed in how one is supposed to add swap? Please reply
directly as I'm not subbed to the list. Thanks much in advance.
    Kristopher Zentner           |    "Would you tell me, please, which
    Aspiring Linguist            |     way I ought to go from here?"
    FreeBSD Advocate             |    "That depends a great deal on
    kzentner@u.washington.edu    |     where you want to go." said the Cat