Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:26:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        torstenb@onizuka.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, rdy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: irc.freebsd.org discontinued for now.

> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Until a proper port of ircd is available, we're going to discontinue
> > running irc on FreeBSD Project machines (and as irc.freebsd.org).
>
> Proper ?
> What do you mean ?

/usr/ports/net/ircd - that would be a proper port. :)

> There will probably never be a common version of ircd. There are too
> many hacked ircd with special "features" out there, ircd 2.9.x has
> some new features and bugs. It's auses trouble with older 2.8.x servers etc.

Well, then there will never be an official irc.freebsd.org site.
No big loss.

I just can't deal with the kind of "here man, take this binary, it's
cool!"  mentality I've seen so far in IRC server hackers, and if it
didn't come from ports then I'm not even interested in looking at
it. :)

I'm sorry if this sounds unforgivably elitist, but ad-hoc binary
trading and dozens of dubiously hacked versions of some utility is
something I'd run Linux for if that were my goal in life.  We aspire
to higher standards in FreeBSD, and if the various ircd authors can't
meet that standard then I guess we don't need to run an
irc.freebsd.org yet.  Maybe after they grow up and learn how to write
software properly*. :-)

				Jordan

* Not that I expect this to happen.