Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:22:47 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, kde@freebsd.org, ruby@freebsd.org, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org, "Jason E. Hale" <bsdkaffee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng
References:  <D0056D18EAAD41119F26D0715FA52FB6@Rivendell> <15617903.FBMimp13fy@mocha.verizon.net> <CACdU%2Bf97xFgcdAA8UqAOZDk-kHsA2Y0qLDEr38r-MsPt6a-aOw@mail.gmail.com> <2193820.CL19acAFmS@mocha.verizon.net> <500B1953.10809@FreeBSD.org> <CADLFttc_zcWBMtR-SDCatqj77UOK%2BCKpBXKfn2RfKO99aJX2pg@mail.gmail.com> <500B8811.9090609@FreeBSD.org> <CADLFttdWnm=V7CarqtnNr7=E4cSS=fX9bbXtJjbw6kT8g82Xfw@mail.gmail.com> <500C6DA9.1070305@FreeBSD.org> <CADLFtte%2BmHzozTjOi9yCYZDOPakOjJphdkutcqS_%2ByfJvEVNqA@mail.gmail.com>

On 07/22/2012 17:50, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 07/22/2012 07:51, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>>> You need to start to respect the people's work and plan, Doug. Also I
>>> am part of team that maintaining the bsd.gnome.mk. Yes it will be
>>> re-add if anyone plan to remove it, because I already have planned add
>>> the :build/:run feature in the bsd.gnome.mk that the without :* will
>>> be both build/run time dependency. It is impossible for me to not
>>> re-add it. It is not going to be long because I already have function
>>> :build/:run in the bsd.mate.mk (was repocopied from bsd.gnome.mk)
>>> available.
>>>
>>> The only thing that I don't plan is to chase thousands of port to have
>>> the 'pkgconfig;build'. If anyone want to take up this task is cool
>>> with me.
>>
>> So what you're saying is that in spite of the fact that the community
>> has identified a bug that it wants to fix, a bug which was added by the
>> team maintaining bsd.gnome.mk, that you are refusing to modify your
>> patch to handle the bug; but instead are demanding your right to
>> reintroduce the bug, and then further demanding the right to not fix it
>> after the patch is in?
>
> Remove the runtime dependency is a bug either because there are a few
> that need it in the runtime dependency.

Which ports are those?

And even if these ports exist, an explicit run dep can be added for
them. Better to add one more dep for a few ports than bogus ones for
thousands.

> I have written a best solution
> than remove that runtime line. It will be 99% bug free when all ports
> have the right :build/:run.

I'm interested in your feedback to Max' point that the equivalent
functionality for kde.mk already has the right logic to handle proper
defaults if the right :label isn't set.

>> And furthermore, you're refusing to even look at
>> the other dependencies which are handled by bsd.gnome.mk to see if
>> similar bugs were introduced *by your team*, but you're happy to let
>> everyone else sort out the problems in thousands of ports for you.
>
> Quiet simple, I do not have time for that huge project.

That's fine, stand aside and let people who are willing to solve the
problem properly do the work. Then when your patch is in proper shape it
can be committed without fear of adding new bugs, or re-adding old ones.

The position you're taking that we can't fix the bug because you demand
your right to get *your* patch in is entirely unreasonable.

Doug

--

    Change is hard.