Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:18:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      "JASSAL Aman" <aman.jassal@esigetel.fr>
To:        Ask =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= <ask@develooper.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client not getting IP address from Time Warner

Hello Ask,

Sorry for getting back to you so late T_T...
I've never faced a MAC address problem before, so I must say I was quite
surprised when I saw your logs yesterday evening.

I'm not sure what the nature of the problem exactly is (I didn't have time
to reproduce it yesterday evening either >_<),

I would suggest that you create your own dhclient.conf file (->
/etc/dhclient.conf) and specify the options you want to send in the
DHCPDISCOVER message yourself. The dhclient program starts by reading what
is specified in this file. You could try sending :

send {
    dhcp-client-identifier "your MAC address"
    ip-address "whatever IP address is topologically correct and with the
defined range of address the server can allocate"
}

With this, you clearly specify the MAC and the IP address you are
requesting (it is the parameters in the options field). You can also
specify other parameters if you wish to.
When you forced it, the MAC address was the good one, so that is good sign.

In the last log you sent (dhcp-freebsd-2.txt), the server is sending back
DHCPNAK messages, which occur in only 2 cases : either the client is
requesting an address that is topologically incorrect, or the lease of the
requested address has expired. But this, to me, looks like the DHCP server
was slightly confused about what was going on :)
Just try power-cycling your Time Warner device, so that he doesn't have
any record of any address.

If you specify clearly the options in your dhcpdiscover message by setting
them in the dhclient.conf, there's no reason the DHCP server will reject
your message. Whenever I configure my connection settings manually, I just
type :

# dhclient iwn0

(My interface uses iwn driver), and that works perfectly... I don't even
have a dhclient.conf file !

Hopefully it (setting up dhclient.conf) helps.

Kind regards,

Aman Jassal