Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:26:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        kline@thought.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XEmacs-19.15 port is bad

According to Satoshi Asami:
>  * After some weeks of using the ports version of xemacs-19.15p7 and
>  * trying to get it to work in vi|viper-mode, I gave up and installed the
>  * v20.2 release.  With identical _dot_ files,  this version does work.  So
>  * I've got my vi that I've been using forever, and the best of the emacs
>  * suite.
>
> Did you ask Michael Elbel (the port maintainer)?

		No, I haven't.  This problem, it turns out from
		having joined the xemacs mailing list is a known
		problem.  It is a bug in the x86free code so it
		affects viper-mode in both the Linux and BSD realms.
		---Assuming the use of the X86Free code. One gent
		who uses Linux and the commercial X package couldn't
		understand why I couldn't get viper to work....
		Until someone checked the archives.

		The fix is to backpatch from xemacs-19.14; or else
		move upward to the MULE ports, 20.X.  Is this our
		responsibility? or xemacs.org's?  Or is this a
		dontcare, just do it?  (This is one where I'd roll
		my own fix, rather than burden xemacs.org....  )

		Michael, if you're reading this list, now you know
		all that I have.

		gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix