Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:18:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lemle Geza <lemleg@fw.opsys.hu>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        peterp@above.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES or MD5

Hello,

There is a difficult way to have a DES password on a MD5 system.

1. cvsup the des code to your src distribution. After this, you will have
src/secure and src/crypto directories.
2. Enter to src/secure directory and do: make cleandir obj depend all
 Never do: make install !
3. do make install in src/secure/lib/libdes, libcipher directories  and
copy manually the src/lib/libcrypt/obj/libdescrypt* to /usr/lib.

Now you have the "SDK" to compile des password generator programs.

4. Choose a program to encrypt password. I use htpasswd from the apache
source code. (apache1.3.9/src/support) In the Makefile you have to change
the -lcrypt library statemenst to -ldescrypt .

5. You can use htpasswd to generate des passwords

6. If you like your MD5 passwords, you must rename the secure and crypto
directories to another name ( tst.secure ,tst.crypto) or use the
-DNOSECURE -DNOCRYPT flags if you do make world... Other way all new
passwords will be DES in /etc/passwd

Good luck,
	Geza