Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:02:50 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, smpatel@wam.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

>> Ultrastore controllers have become famous for there in ability to do
>> a decent job of getting data to and from the disk.

>? As an owner of U24F card I'm interested in what is wrong with 'm? Is
>grief and misery lurking somewhere ;-) ?

They are slow.  See my other mail that explains why they are no faster
than IDE in important cases.  This is despite their busmastering DMA
at up to 66MB/sec compared with PIO at 3.3MB/sec.  The DMA just reduces
the transfer overhead and causes serial overruns.

I suspect that there are performance bugs in the driver.  What causes
the maximum throughput to drop from 5MB/sec to 3MB/sec after /etc/rc
is run?  I suspect the controller or driver doesn't handle scatter/
gather right.

Bruce