Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:29:29 -0400
From:      "ScaryG" <scaryg@sputnik.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Xwindows - getting better than 640x480

After working with FreeBSD (at work) in a command line environment, I
finally decided to load FreeBSD on a computer at home to check out the
Xwindows environment.

I'm happy to say that after a couple days of compiling and upgrading, I
have Xfree 3.3.6 running with Gnome 1.2

Problem is.. I'm trapped in 640x480 mode!

How can I get to 800x600?

I've checked the config and it shows my Mach64 video card, 2 megs of ram,
various mode, correct monitor type.

>From what I've read, I should be able to press CTRL+ALT+Numberpad + or -
to flip through the video modes...

That isn't working for me at all.

Let me admit that this keyboard is old... perhaps it isn't sending the
correct stuff back?

-Gerry