Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:30:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        jmb@hub.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        mike@argos.org, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD

In some mail from Jonathan M. Bresler, sie said:

> > I'd sure hope so...  Let's face it -- even though FreeBSD is (in my
> > opinion) the most "robust" out of the bunch, the x86 architecture isn't
> > going to win any awards for performance....  Cheap, yes.  Easy, yes.
> > Works for the most part, yes.  But it's still based off of the idea that
> > we need to be backwards-compatible with the late 1700's.  The Alpha port
> > of FBSD is A Good Thing (I'm hoping to try it out this weekend on a couple
> > of the Alpha machines I have available for playing with), but the high-end
> > boxes are pretty pricey.  You can find multi-processor SPARC machines
> > being practically given away by companies who don't know what they're
> > capable of, not to mention several other platforms.
>

> 	thisis incorrect.  the intel processors knock the snot out of
> sparc in inteeger performance.  take a look at the hint benchmark for
> example.  the benchmark is in the ports tree.
>
> 	the alpha on the other hand knocks the intel flat on the matt.

I see.  No wonder the world has to put up with such an Intel-dominated
marketplace, people can't look past the bang-for-bucks statistics.

When you're running a fileserver, SPECint/SPECfp aren't really that
significant.  At the same time, I wouldn't be looking for a 12GB/s
box if I wanted to do word processing either.

Whilst your PC might be running at 100s of MHz, it probably stops
hundreds of times a second, waiting for something.  Talk to someone
who knows about mainframes and see how often one of their CPUs will
stall (for anything).  They don't have FEP's, DASD, etc, for nothing.