Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:02:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On 25-Nov-99 Duke Normandin wrote:
> Hi Greg...
>
> [you said...]
> OK, I've said my piece here, and I disagree entirely.  But it's not
> up
> to me; I've been using Emacs and similar editors for 20 years.  The
> real question is: what do newbies think?  Anybody want to comment?
>
> [now here's my 0.2....]
>
> I've broken the *nix ice  --- with an old version of Linux Slackware.
> Nothing fancy -- no X. I've got freaking "broken pipes" ; can't get
> the printer going; "less"ing every frigging thing that I see; and
> "man"ed the whole bloody fs. OK -- so I'm going uphill!
> Be-that-as-it-may, IMHO, the last thing a newbie with a throbbing
> headache, pissed off and zero patience left, needs is to launch
> himself straight hell with vi or vim or jove.
> Then i discovered
> joe --- no screaming hell, but friendlier, cuz now I have a help menu
> at the top so that i can at least exit in 10 seconds, instead of
> hitting every key/key-combo. Now please, folks don't take offense --
> vi/vim, emacs et al are all probably great for you guys with all that
> experience.
>
> Bottom line for a simple, effective, newbie text-editor --- something
> like joe or DOS edit. I'm in; I'm out --bingo, bango "printcap" is
> modified and my bald-spot is no wider. Printer still doesn't work --
> but what the hell.
>
> Note: -- I used the above -- out-dated software notwithstanding --
> merely to make my point. Once I learn enough *nix, I'll install FBSD
> and will most likely be pleasantly surprised - and won't be such a
> pain-in-the-d'ariel - oops- I mean derriere!
>
> I'm outta here --- back to man setterm -- I hate white-on-black. I
> fell like I'm in a funeral parlor :-) BTW, Greg -- thanks for your
> comments/suggestions re FBSD UGs!
>
> later......duke
> -duke

My small experience is that vi is adequate for most config files and smaller
hacks, but I always get frustrated when doing normal english (or swedish for
that matter:) text. Nedit is a cool thing, however it requires X.

My old ms-dos background always makes me want Brief back. I'm certain it can't
do everything Emacs (Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift) does but the key shortcuts
are mostly F* or Alt-'Letter'. I recently downloaded vital.com's Crisp 6.2
editor and its 100% Brief emulation seems to be just that, 100%. Albeit the
LISP-ish macro language my Brief used is no more - can't say I miss it.
Unfortunately the $150 is a bit steep, at least until I have some serious
programming to do. Fiddling with rc.conf &c is a vi job.

/micke