Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:16:12 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: off topic - video compression .avi -> .mov

Craig, Chris,

We did exactly this last week in our Telepresence Lab.
(Well, Jen did actually)

1) we captured video using Windows with a Hauppauge TV card making an
uncompressed AVI file (very very large)
2) we hacked xamin (which can play uncompressed AVI files) to output
each frame
as a PPM file. This needs even more disk space
3) the mpeg compressor can take in a directory full of ppm files, one
file for each
frame.

So, all the code for this is in FreeBSD. It would be nice to hack the
mpeg encoder
to read uncompressed avi files directly.

Hacking was performed by Jen Clark, jen@telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk
I'll ask her to write up exactly what she did and post it here.

Bye
Roger