Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:43:42 -0400
From:      David Sze <dsze@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        Steve Grandi <grandi@noao.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STABLE regression with AIC-7902 controller.

No solution for you, but I'd like to confirm I have a similar problem
with the Supermicro SuperServer 6023P-8, which uses the X5DP8-G2
motherboard and also has an integrated AIC-7902 controller.

I no longer have the exact error messages (nor do I have access to the
box), but they were something along the lines of "ILLEGAL_PHASE 0x80"
and "invalidating pack".  I tried both 4.8-RELEASE and 4.8-STABLE cvsuped
around 2003/06/13 11:00 AM EDT.  Out of maybe 5 attempts, only once with
4.8-RELEASE was successful.  But shortly after install and reboot, the
same errors appeared on the console and the server became unresponsive.

My suspicion is that the AIC-7902 controllers on these boards are not
generic Adaptec parts (i.e. SuperMicro has used custom OEM parts or perhaps
they bought slightly defective ones for cheap from Adaptec).  The reason
for my suspicion is that they included 9 floppies with binary-only AIC-7902
drivers for all flavours of Windows (including 2003 Server), Netware, Open
UNIX/UnixWare, RedHat 7.2, RedHat 8.0, SuSE 8.0, and SuSE 8.1.

On a whim, I tried installing Windows 2003 Server on the machine, and the
generic 7902 driver that comes with Win2K3 was unable to recognize the
onboard controller.  Only with the binary-only driver of the floppy was it
able to work.  Exactly the same thing happened with RedHat 8.0 and 9.0.