Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:14:47 +0300
From:      Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com>
To:        Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old PC + Big IDE HD = Booting?

I tried installing it with Quantum's Disk Manager, but I couldn't get
BSD to recognize over 33.8GB of that disk, so 6GB was wasted, although
that was already better than not being able to boot at all.

Anyways I found an old 420mb drive and installed my root partition on it
and rest of the system on that 40GB Quantum drive and now everything
works like a charm. Another interesting fact was that FreeBSD recognized
that 40GB Quantum as a 2.1GB disk if it was installed as a slave on the
same IDE controller than the 420mb drive. After changing it to secondary
master, FreeBSD recognized it as a 40GB drive...

That computer seems screwed in many ways as I wasn't able to buildworld
on it (signal 11). I had to boot those disks from my own workstation and
use it to buildworld and update the system, then put those disks back
into that old piece of junk.

Anyways thanks for the input!

- Edvard