Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 19:40:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

> And they don't belong in the kernel either. They are NOT a part of the
> kernel, they are a TOOL. So put them in the tools directory associated with
> the build in progress.

That describes boot, netboot, fbsdboot (which is a *DOS* program!).

I think config has about as much association with a particular kernel
as /sys/kern/vnode_if.sh.

Which is to say, there is a 1:1 correspondence with potential kernel
changes.

> To me that means that they belong in usr/?bin. (I'm not sure what the
> distinction between bin and sbin should really be. These are uncommon
> commands, but still commands on the same level as troff. I tend to say
> usr/bin.)

But config isn't a command, it's a kernel configuration semantics parsing
tool to make a buildable directory in compile and add a whole bunch of
crap that should be dynamically initialized anyway.

It's as much a part of the kernel as the other pieces I mentioned.

> Notice that I did NOT say /usr/bin.  Each build should have its own set of
> tools.

Definitely -- and they should be associated with the source in some way.

Like putting them in a "tools" dir at the same level as the kern and
compile and arch specific directories.

> Otherwise the proper compilation of the tool for the purpose of the
> particular build must be used.

Right.  But I can't use it because using it entails murdering the one
for the current system (ie: installing it).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.