Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: followup on 8 way SMP pani

Matthew Jacob writes:
 > > Hang on a second.  Clock interrupts are used for _two_ different things
 > > here, which is where you are getting confused I think.  One is
 > > timekeeping, another is to handle things like per-process statclock, etc.
 > > All that per-process stuff we do on _all_ cpu's when we get a clock
 > > interrupt.  Alpha is nice in that it broadcasts clock interrupts for this
 > > purpose.  On x86, for example, we only have one clock interrupt and we
 > > have to IPI all the other CPU's to get this info.
 >
 > But, in fact, in this case this is *not* a broadcast interrupt. Each TLSB CPU
 > board can have up to two CPUs. Each TLSB CPU board has an interval timer and a
 > Zilog duart. You use the TLINTRMASK{0,1} registers for each TLSB CPU board to
 > control whether one or both CPUs get DUART or Interval Timer or IPI (or any
 > other, for that matter) interrupt.

The Sable/Lynx family has a similar register (but per-cpu).  It has
bits which control if that cpu gets Interval Timer, IPI, etc
interrupts.

Also, from the docs & emperical evidence, it would appear that clock
interrupts arrive at the same frequency, but cpu1 always interrupts
1/4 of a hz after cpu0, cpu2 is 1/2hz behind cpu0, etc.

Drew