Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2022 11:18:43 -0700
From:      Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible OS suggestion: make service status smarter about process runtime

Hey all,

There's no mailing list for "rc" commands so I'm putting this in generic =
questions.

We've recently done some pkg upgrades and would like to restart the =
various services.

It occurs to me that since the rc subsystem knows the command involved, =
(say, /usr/local/sbin/httpd), and already looks at the process table and =
the pid file to figure out if it's running, It's also possible to extend =
the output of service foo status to print how long a service has been =
running.

Further, this could be extended such that there was a way of telling, =
post pkg upgrade or post freebsd-update install, which services were in =
need of a restart.  (I.e. which files had mtimes newer than their =
runtimes).

Thoughts on this?  Is it worth a feature request?