Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:58:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   X triggering ppp to dial

Howdy,

Had this leetle problem for a while but have ignored it till now.

When X starts the user ppp starts up and hangs the server start, until
I get bored waiting and kill the process. (I'm running ppp as a daemon.)
I have been starting the X session with startx and xinit.

This has gotten a bit irritating because I'm starting to use xdm.
When I log off of the session, the whole console is hung up tight. I
can press keys and eventually it starts beeping (buffer full, I guess.)

The computer and OS are still running, but I have to go to another
machine on the lan, telnet in, and rescue the situation (reboot - could
also seek out and kill the offending process.)

Any clues as to where to look for the solution to this? This is getting
into territory where I read the book(s) and type in the examples.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, John