Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:55:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ted Buswell <tbuswell@mediaone.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 cron and login.conf,/etc/group

    Doug> Odd it considers /etc/group corrupt AND that the path is in
    Doug> caps. Can you identify?  Perhaps it's another server logging
    Doug> to yours?

/etc/group is fine, /etc/login.conf is fine (did a cap_mkdb too), and
the CAPS in the program name seem to come from the cron source..
I don't know what the problem is, but I can reproduce it easily on
this machine (HP Vectra/XU 6/200).  My diagnosis is that cron is
allergic to Win95 :)  Or maybe more accurately, this behavior seems to
be related to the use of fbsdboot.exe

To cause the problem:

	1) boot Win95 into ms-dos mode.
	2) boot freebsd using fbsdboot.exe
	<cron problem happens>
	3) /sbin/reboot
	<don't bother using fbsdboot, just use "BootEasy">
	<cron problem happens>
	:goto 3

To get rid of the cron messages, all I have to do is do a hard reset
(/sbin/halt then hit the reset or power switch) and then boot FreeBSD
using the regular "BootEasy".

This is more than a little strange.  I can reproduce it very easily,
so if anyone has any ideas, I'm willing to try them.

Thanks,
-Ted