Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:20:51 -0500
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        lev@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Restore only several files from ZFS snapshot without creating copy of them?

On Jan 9, 2016, at 18:38, Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD,
>=20
>   I have a ZFS filesystem, which have daily snapshots. User removed =
several
> multi-gigabyte files by accident and need to get them back. These =
files are
> present in old daily snapshots, allright. But as far as I understnad, =
if I
> do
>=20
> cp /fs/.zfs/snapshots/old-snapshot/file /fs/file
>=20
>   I got TWO copies of this file (one in live filesystem and future =
snapshots
> and other one in old snapshots). As files in question are =
multi-gigabyte
> (about 100G alltogether) I don't want such duplication (dedup is =
turned off,
> as it is very memory-consuming).
>=20
> Is it possible to restore these files without such data duplication?

Could you leverage a CLONE of the snapshot until such time as other =
snapshots of these large files have expired (assuming you are expiring =
and destroying old snapshots after a certain amount of time) ? I am =
trying to think out of the box here and have to completely thought all =
this through.=20

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org