Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:00:15 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conditionally removing cosmetic messages for small kernels (PICOBSD).

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 15:25:14 +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While building a PicoBSD disk for work purposes, I noticed that
> pcisupport.c was the largest object file sitting there, at 43k.
>
> By removing (#ifndef PICOBSD, better names accepted) the cosmetic probe
> messages, I managed to reduce that to 23k easily enough, buying me a few
> more executables (and NTFS support, which was why I was building the
> disk).

I would call it PCI_NO_STRINGS or maybe PCI_NO_DESCRIPTIONS, so that it can
be easily used with something other than PicoBSD, and so it is a little
more self-documenting.

> If I were to do/start the work on the rest of the system, would this be
> acceptable?  Initial patch attached.  (There seems to be "quirk" fixes
> mixed in with the cosmetic stuff, so the patches aren't as clean as they
> could be.)

I think you'll find that most other areas of the system with large numbers
of strings have already been taken care of.

The only area other than the PCI code that I can think of with lots of text
is CAM, and that has been #ifdef'ed since the beginning.

For both the PCI code and the CAM code, though, I think the strings should
be compiled out only when necessary.  (like for PicoBSD)  In most cases,
the win from having the strings is far greater than the size cost.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org