Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 2002 13:50:29 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help debugging printing

I setup and installed a printer yesterday, and installed LPRng and
apsfilter from ports (fresh cvsup), and had apsfilter print out that
funky test page.
In continuing the setup the box, Im trying to print a file, and getting
these results ->
----------------
hivemind# lpr lprng.sh
lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: No such file or directory
lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

-----------------
The lpd daemon is running.
hivemind# ps aux | grep lpd
daemon   530  0.0  0.3  1476 1096  ??  Is    1:07PM   0:00.00 lpd: lpd
Waiting (lpd)

I ran LPRng's checkpc utility and got this ->
hivemind# checkpc
Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/ulpt0' - Permission denied

I know for a fact that /dev/ulpt0 exists, so I deleted it and created it
again.
hivemind# rm ulpt0 && ./MAKEDEV ulpt0 && ls -al ulpt0
crw-------  1 root  wheel  113,   0 Oct  6 13:46 ulpt0

Does anyone know where my problem may be??
Thanks for any input you may provide.

--
Gerard Samuel
http://www.trini0.org:81/