Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:39:01 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI bad block handliong ?

> I have 3 scsi drives in a CCD array. I'm getting system crashes that I
> think are related to it. I'm also getting quite a number of error
> messages from INND about disk writing problems.
>
> FSCK reports that it can't read blocks 25081600 - 25081609.
>
> How can I make the drive remap these blocks ?

See the scsi(8) manpage for instructions on editing the mode page that
contains the ARRE/AWRE bits; these need to be set for the drive to
automatically reallocate blocks.

You may then need to actually write to the blocks before they will be
reallocated, which will generally involve using dd to plaster the
entire disk (unless you write a program to write to just the offending
parts of the raw device).
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\