Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:54:43 -0400
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running "Windows Emulation" headless ... possible?

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:31:47PM +0200, Per Hedeland wrote:
> Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> > I use that acidos howto and it works well for me.
>
> I'm sure it works, just that it seems very static - I don't know if it
> would be possible to diddle that sysctl in qemu-ifup, maybe it is. I do
> believe I tried to use it when I first started to use qemu, but ran into
> some problems.

My needs are, I think, far simpler than yours or Bakul's--basically, I
just need a simple Windows install that will reach the Internet (which
could be done with slirp) and work with our company's Nortel VPN client
(which doesn't work with slirp)

> >  Some of the things I mention in CURRENT are definitely only
> >workable in CURRENT, at this point.
>
> Could you be specific?

Sorry, I meant giving the IP address to the bridge, as well as that
if_tap, allowing the user to open it.

> >An anal sense of cleanliness?  :)  I usually only open qemu to do what I
> >have to do and close it afterwards.  Also, to avoid the tap errors you
> >mention below.
>
> You don't need to unload the module for that, and it's not possible if
> you have some qemu instance still running anyway - just 'deletem' the
> tap interface instead. I've never tried it, but it's the "right" thing
> to do - if there was a qemu-ifdown I might put it there.

Yes, the reason it caused me problems turned out to be (I did a bit of
experimenting when I got home) is because my qemu-ifup script ends with
bridge0 addm ${1}.  If I comment that line out, it causes me no
problems.

A bit more with the bridge and the IP address. In CURRENT, if I don't
assign it an IP address, then networking in the guest simply doesn't
work.

However,  casual testing indicates the following.  (I see I went through
some of this already, as this next sentence is mentioned in my howto).

If I set it in rc.conf, that is cloned_interface and ifconfig bridge0
addm, then I don't have to give it an address.

If I manually assign one, I have to give it a 32 bit mask (on the 24 bit
subnet).  HOWEVER--this is odd, but I don't have the energy to play
around and delve further into it--if I don't use cloned interface in
rc.conf, and don't assign the bridge an address manually, it will work
without problem if I do dhclient bridge0--where it gets a 24 bit mask on
the host's subnet.

So, I can see that, especially since you set it in rc.conf, that you
don't need to assign the bridge an address--I'm sure you're right if you
tell me I'm wrong to do so.  However, it's just a matter, on an aging
machine, of running as little as possible when not needed, so I prefer
to just start it manually each time I need qemu--which might be once or
twice a week.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: So, Buffy, how'd the slaying go last night?
Buffy: Xander!
Xander: I mean, how'd the laying go? No, I don't mean that either.