Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:59:47 -0400
From:      "Brandon Fosdick" <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Francis J. Bruening" <francis.j.bruening@bigfoot.com>, <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X problems

> Brandon,
>
> I'm just getting ready to try to install FBSD w/a Viper 770Ultra.
>
> I saw the article on freebsdzine re: OpenGL and the TNT cards, but I
thought
> that was simply
> if you wanted to get 3d performance out of the card, which is a different
> problem than your mail.
>
> What article are you refering too?

They are the instructions for 3D hardware acceleration. However, (I
think)when the article was written the 2D changes hadn't been incorpated
into XFree86 yet (3.3.3.1) so the first step in the article takes care of
that. Version 3.3.5 has the 2D mods but not in the binaries(as far as I can
tell), you have to compile from the port. If you want hardware accelerated
3D then follow the instructions but don't apply the X patches.  If you do
try applying the XFree diffs then patch will fail and it won't compile
anymore.

If Jordan doesn't feel like updating the article I'd be willing to write an
addendum to reflect the mods. Although the coming version 4.0 may make that
unecessary.

Hope that helps
Brandon
bfoz@glue.umd.edu