Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:49:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

Jonathan Lemon said:

> My gripe is that there wasn't any warning, and it broke some of the other
> things that I have (that aren't in the tree).  It would have been nice to
> have a heads up, and at least an explanation of why the change was being
> made (if for nothing else than to reassure people that there _is_ a coherent
> design goal for FBSD).  There _is_ a design goal, right?  :-)

<IMO>
Actually, if the change (retval) bothers me at all is that it is different
than the way that it used to be done.  There are some changes that are
self contained, and they don't affect any other piece of code.  There are
other changes (the retval changes) that affect almost everything, and can
make it more difficult (at first) during the transition to write code, because
of bugs that are partially due to the change being forgotten about by the
other developers.  In my case, I remembered about the change, wrote the code for
the new method, but didn't recognise the side effect that bit me.  That is
*my* problem, the developer of other new code, that uses the new methodology.

However, developers who do make global changes should weigh the costs and
benefits.  If the developer isn't sure about his/her position, or wants
consultation, they should discuss the modifications with other FreeBSD
developers, either privately or publically.  (I think that a mix of both
public and private discussion is advantageous.)  Really significant changes
should be discussed with -core, and at least be things that DG feels comfortable
with.  (Note that DG isn't "boss", but someone has to be the focal point and
have the responsibility for the coherency of the software.  DG is very very
good at that job.)

I don't know if PHK discussed the change with DG, BDE, me (I don't remember
things very well) or someone else who also has some vested interest in the
quality of the code -- but I trust that he did weigh the options.  If FreeBSD
messes up or his change is a bad idea, it will reflect on him (not only us
as a whole.)  The peer-pressure method of quality control kind of maximizes
our freedom, and still maintains quality.

After all of this, one thing that I really want to see us avoid is change
for change's sake, and a million lines of diffs for a 0.5% improvement in
performance.  I think also each of us should be careful to listen to input from
other developers (core, major contributors, and the user base), just so
we avoid making obvious mistakes very often.
</IMO>

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org