Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:01:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gerardo Joven <gjoven@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Orinoco RG-1100 + Orinoco Cards

Hello there:

What I want to do: Share Internet via Orinoco RG-1100
with Orinoco cards (one Silver and one Gold) using
Windows XP as the server.

Windows XP is the server (damn USB modem) running ICS.
Server configuration is all fine because I'm writing
this mail as a client BUT on Windows.

Now, lets go to the FreeBSD part. I'm running FreeBSD
4.5. PCCARD support is there and starts at boot. WI
recognizes my card and gives no errors.

Lets go to wicontrol now. First of all, should I use
AD-HOC (which is mode 3 on wincontrol) or BSS mode
(1)? I read wi and wicontrol man pages. I understood I
gotta use BSS if Im using an Access Point ( A
Residential Gateway works just as an access point,
doesnt it?) but the signal light on the card won't
turn on, it turns on when I choose ad-hoc.

My RG has a "Network Name" at the bottom of it which I
had to specify on Windows 98 (XP detected the RG) to I
could connect to it. Do I need to specify that name
with the -n option on wicontrol (wicontrol -i wi0 -n
394876)? Or isnt that necessary?

Last, I wondered how to save the wicontrol options so
they wont get reseted each time and I figured out to
put them on pccard.conf BUT there is a small problem,
all gets setted correctly but 1 thing. After I boot
the machine with the pccard.conf already configured, i
get the following:

# wicontrol -i wi0
CURRENT NETWORK NAME   [ FreeBSD Lucent Card]
DESIRED NETWORK NAME   [ 394876 ]

How can I make my desired network name, be my network
name? I mean, just in case I need to specify it. The
394876 name i typed in there is my RG's Network Name
at the bottom, remember?

Someone could help me pls?? If you need more info i
will provide it ASAP

Thanks in advance,

Alcachofo Demv