Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:24:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP is stable now.  Whee! :)

John Baldwin writes:

 > > I'm happy to report that with this patchset, plus the
 > > cricical_enter/exit changes I just committed, a dual cpu 2100 made it
 > > through a buildworld last night just fine ;)
 >
 > Woo!  The dual 4100 here is still cranking through a -j 8 world.

What's the appropriate -j level for an MP box, anyway?

I just naively used -j 2.  Should I go higher?  I realize going higher
will be a better stress test, where does the overhead from cache
pollution & extra scheduling outwheigh the possability of having
another job whose I/O has completed & is ready to run?
At least on a modern UP, like my tbird, omitting the -j seems to speed
things up slightly..

Drew