Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 01:38:26 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013413106.87f57b@mired.org>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIS735 set / Elite Group K7S5A mobo ok in 4.5-Rel ?

Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com> types:
> > > I see if the archives there was some movement this in January, but did it
> > > get into 4.5-Rel?
> >
> >Onboard sound doesn't work. Everything else does, though I'm seeing
> >quirks in the onboard ethernet. I think it's gkrellm, which seems to
> >have a penchant for breaking things.
>
> well, then it's still useless then under FreeBSD.

Gee, I'm getting quite a bit of use out of mine. I've been doing that
for quite a while. It's not at all clear at this time where the SiS
900 problems I'm seeing come from. Nobody else is reporting any
problems, so it could be that my motherboard has a problem. It could
be a problem with the version of the BIOS on this motherboard. It
could be anything.

If you define a board as "useless" if there's some functionality on it
that you can't use, then I doubt that anyone makes a motherboard I
wouldn't call useless. Serious systems need SCSI disk controllers, so
you can't use the IDE controllers that every manufacturer puts on the
board. But who cares? Just disable it so it doesn't eat any IRQs, and
use the thing.

> I'm looking for a LINT for motherboards.  "Most oughta work" still means
> "try it and see" experimentation.  $ and time.

Um - the Elite K7S5A booted FreeBSD and ran out of the box, no
problems whatsoever. That fits the definition of "work" in the
statement "Most oughta work".

Your definition of "work" seems to be "Everything on the motherboard
can be used to it's full potential." That's *always* going to be a
"try it and see" type thing for any OS the vendor doesn't provide
drivers for.

> I'd like to identify two mobo's to standardize on, one for medium-power,
> dedicated "appliance" roles, and one for high-powered server roles.

In either of those two roles, why do you care if sound works or not?

	<mike