Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 19:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        cgrimes@tsoft.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5  Q&A floppies

According to cgrimes@tsoft.com:

> Hey Kline@Tao,
>
> This may sound extremely stupid, but I can not get my floppy drive
> recognized, read, accessed, or mounted in 2.2.5. It doesn't show up on
> the boot device list (fd0 ?). When I try to manually mount it by
> typing "mount /dev/fd0 /A <or> /mnt" I get the message, "fd0 device
> not configured" I tried MAKEDEV fd0, fd0a, fd1.1440, and so forth, and
> get other error messages.
>
> What I want to do is have a working 3.5" drive so I can pull in old
> DOS, Win95 text files.
>
> So, what's up? Does this mean I have to add fd0 to the kernel and
> re-compile the kernel? If this is the case, then guys, I gotta say, I
> hope you put a fd0 (3.5" 1440) into the default kernel in whatever is
> the current version of FreeBSD. BTW, I've been over the 2.2.5 manual
> many times on this issue and still don't understand what's wrong.
>
> Any help would be appreciated--like a check list to figure out where
> the problem is.

	I'm cc'ing the -questions list, where this kind of query
	properly belongs.  The people on -questions have prob'ly
	seen this one myriad times before.  Also where you are
	likely to get help much more quickly than through me.

	There is no such thing as a stupid question, as far as I'm
	concerned; the stupid thing is not to ask help if  you are
	stumped.

	That said, the following questions come to mind:

	  Have you checked the device directory to see if fd0...
	  exist?   Type:

	    % cd /dev
	    % ls -l fd0*

	  to see.  The floppy devices should be there; and yes, of
	  course they are in the kernel.   Type

	    % dmesg | more

	  to check your system configuration.

	  Assuming the /dev/fd0 and others are missing, you can
	  make the with the MAKEDEV script.  You've got to be root
	  and specify MAKEDEV specifically since /dev isn't in
	  root's exec $path.

	  So try :

	    # cd /dev
	    # ./MAKEDEV fd0