Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 06:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> > Thanks--also thanks to John Polstra.  I got the sources after the
> > "freeze" time and did a make world and built a new kernel, but it
> > still says 2.2-STABLE, so I wasn't sure.
>
> It will say 2.2-STABLE at all times unless there's a specific release
> in progress, then it will be set to that release name for all of a day
> or so before going back to 2.2-STABLE.

Please, not again, don't duplicate the errors of your past handling
of this.

The sequence of commits should be something that creates

2.2-STABLE (where we are today)
2.2.5-BETA (for while we are in BETA on the branch)
2.2.5-RELEASE (when you finally roll the puppy up)
2.2.5-STABLE (after you roll the release).

Going DOWN in version numbers is not something I would call good
release engineering/customer relations work.  If you go back to
2.2-STABLE I have know way to know that the person has something
before the 2.2.5 RELEASE point.

You did this in the 2.1 branch when I proded you to change the
word ``RELEASE'' to ``STABLE'', but your commit also changed
2.1.5 back to 2.1, _decreasing_ the version number, again I
iterate, version numbers should never decrease!

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD